Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Amelia Rose is here!!!

Amelia was born on June 2, 2010 at 9:11pm. She weighed in at 6lbs 1 0z and 21 inches long. 


Birth Story:


I had my last OB appointment on Tuesday June 1st. Well of course my BP was high again. It was higher than the week before and that was before I went on leave. Geez. Well, after talking with the OB, he thought it would be best to induce labor before things got any worse. So I was told to be at the Hospital that evening to get things started. OMG!!! The anxiety was overwhelming.  I got to the hospital  at 4:30 so they could insert the cervidil.  That night l didn't get much sleep since I was hooked up to monitors, IV, and someone kept coming in too take my BP every so often. I was just really uncomfortable and anxious.
At 2am I started feeling stronger contractions. The nurse took out the cervidil  and administered the pictocin at 5am. they broke my water around 9am, I think. By the late morning, I was still not progressing as fast as they wanted so they kept uping the dosage. The contractions were really strong and painful. I was still only about 3cm dilated. I decided to get a pain reliever administered because I knew I would not be pushing until about 7pm and being all hooked up to things I couldn't get into any positions that gave me relief. The pain reliever did not really work it just made me fee high and groggy. I was still in a lot of pain, and they kept pumping up the dosage of the pictocin. 
After a couple more hours my OB came in and was not really happy with my progress. He saw that I was in pain and was getting weaker with each contraction. They were about 3 minutes apart but I was still not dilating very fast. We talked about the epidural even though my plan was never to get one. I was weak and I knew that I couldn't continue like this for another 7 hours.
So I got one. While they administered the epi, the nurse blew out my IV on my left arm and then had to start a whole new one on the right. She wasn't paying attention when she was trying to pump more fluids into me and did not notice the dial was turned down low. After the epi, I felt better but still exhausted. Around 5pm I think, I was only 5cm dilated. The OB mentioned that if I did not get to 8cm by 8pm then he would call it a day and do the c-section. I just started crying. I did not want surgery. He was very skeptic from the beginning that I would be able to push out Amelia since my passage way was very narrow and tight. He warned me that I would be pushing for 2hrs instead of his normal 1 hour for other patients. 
They decided to put internal monitors in me so they could watch the contractions better. Again, the upped the dosage of pictocin. At this time my contractions were very strong and about 2 minutes apart, some less. I was beaten up, my BP was still high and then I broke into a fever.  They checked me out around 7pm and I was at 8cm!! Unfortunately the epi wore off and I was in soooooo much pain. They felt that Amelia was turned the wrong way so they threw me on my side and put one of my legs in stirrups. I had this overwhelming need to push and no one could stop me. They told me I couldn't since she wasn't turned yet. They tried to give me more anesthesia but I didn't take. The epi was not in right anymore. I was screaming in pain so much that I scared the whole floor.
The OB finally came back in after I was begging the nurses to let me push this baby out. They checked my cervix and  the nurse felt I could push her through but the OB was still no optomistic about it. I started pushing with all of my might and all of my strength.  I was determined not to do it for 2 hrs. After about 20 minutes the OB was called because Amelia was ready to be delivered. Just under 30 minutes, our precious daughter was born at 9:11pm. Mark was great through the whole thing and was just in awe as he saw our daughter being born. I still can't believe he watched. 
As she was on my chest, I noticed that there was urine all over the OB. Apparently the catheter was not releasing my urine properly so when I pushed, I burst my bladder. They had to stitch me up near my uretha. I also had a small tear in my vaginal opening. At this time, the placenta was still not delivered. The OB was prying and pulling. After 45 minutes, I had to go to the OR. As they decided this, they looked down and noticed that I developed a hematoma the size of a baseball. The look on the doctors face was very concerning and I started to cry and worry. 
We went pack to the OR before I could tell Mark that I loved him or kiss my sweet Amelia goodbye (he had to go with her to the nursery). I was scared sh!tless of having surgery. All the nurses knew and everyone else in that OR  knew it. I was shaking and fearful. I had to have a D&C and the doctor so kindly told me that he was elbows deep in my uterus trying to get the placenta out. I tore my cervix at the 6 o'clock position and downward towards my ass which caused the hematoma. More stitches. ::sigh::
I woke up in the recovery room around midnight in shock and wanting to see my baby and my husband. Finally Mark was allowed in and they kept me there for another hour. I couldn't imagine what he was going through when they told him that they took me away for surgery without being able to see me off. Finally at 1am, I was put in my room and I got to see our little girl. I completely broke down after everything that happened. She is the best thing that I ever did.
As far as the name choice, as soon as she was layed on my chest, Mark knew her name would be Amelia. Honestly, I was too in shock to really ponder all of it. She is an Amelia!!!




1 comment:

MV said...

This is quite the birth story Jacquie - I hope you are recovering well. Really, she is the most beautiful newborn I've ever seen. Congrats to you and Mark!