Everyone says that you should try to get all the sleep in before you give birth. I hated hearing that statement over and over again from everyone, but boy is it true. I mean seriously. I really do try to get some sleep when Amelia is down, but when am I supposed to eat? I'm still trying to find a balance with everything and I am confident that I will eventually find it, but the road to this balance is tough.
The biggest challenge I have is breastfeeding. From the beginning, Amelia had latch issues and the habit of falling asleep at the breast. We constantly harass her, get her naked, burp her, and change her diaper during nursing time. She still likes to doze off. I also like to call her a lazy baby, since she seems to lay there hoping that the milk will just fall into her mouth. She really needs to work for her meal. At her 2 week weight check she gained back most of her birth weight and weighed in at 6lbs. The Pedi was hoping that she would gain 1/2 lb but she only gained 1/4. I know this has to do with her being lazy and falling asleep at the breast. I pump once in the morning and I am able to get about 5oz between both breasts so I know the milk is there. I am on the fence about exclusively pumping from now on. I have given her a bottle in the middle of the night when she has been really fussy and after an hour on the breast still continues just to use me as a pacifier and not eat. This is the point when I get so frustrated, and I can see her getting upset as well. I just want her to grow strong and be healthy.
I also find myself constantly checking to make sure she is breathing while asleep. I constantly worry so much about her and wish that I could make her safe and have a guarantee that nothing would happen to her. She is our world.
2 Week Amelia pictures coming soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment