Wow! What a year this has been. Tonight I was looking through the hundreds upon hundreds of photos of Amelia and saw how much she has grown and developed. She is definitely not my little baby anymore but she is and always will be my little girl. At this hour 1 year ago I was in surgery after labor only to have held my daughter for a few moments. It was an unexpected surgery and I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I feared I would never see her again. It wasn't until after 1 am that I was able to hold Amelia again. As I kissed her little head, I knew this small delicate angel would forever change my life in a way that I find so hard to put into words. Over the year I have watched her grow. Her first smile, her first giggle, rolling over, crawling, babbling, and recognition. It's truly amazing watching someone develop physically and mentally right before your eyes. A year ago she was bundled on my chest for warmth, dependent on me and the sound of my heartbeat. Today she is walking all over the house and yapping away at anything and everyone. It seems like as soon as her birthday hit, she was a baby no more.
I'm bad with expressing my emotions and writing my thoughts so I found this poem that I thought was perfect and I wanted to post it here. I think I will have to get this printed and framed out for Amelia.
1st Birthday Poem
by Terri Harrison
Covered in cake and icing,
Your smile stretched ear to ear.
A single candle celebrates,
The joys of your first year.
We sing Happy Birthday,
You play midst wraps and bows.
We marvel how you touched our lives,
Just one year ago.
I remember the first time I held you,
Kissed your head, whispered your name.
You've changed our lives forever,
Our hearts will never be the same.
As a child you'll love this day,
For all the sweets and presents too.
As parents we'll love your day,
For the gift we got was you.
Each year we'll add another candle,
So proud to see you grow.
But always with the memory,
Of your first day long ago.

2 comments:
I love that poem, made me tear up. Happy 1st Birthday!!!
What a perfect poem. She is absolutely adorable and that photo just captures the excitement perfectly!
Post a Comment